The Program Committee for the 2018 meeting of the South-Central Society for Music Theory invites proposals for papers and presentations on any topic related to music theory for thirty-minute presentations (20 minutes plus 10 minutes for discussion). The conference will be held at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS from March 23–24, 2018. This year, we are pleased to announce that the conference will include a graduate student workshop on film music led by Scott Murphy (University of Kansas).
EMAIL DEADLINE: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 11:59pm EST. Confirmation of proposals received will be made electronically upon their receipt.
1) Proposals should be no longer than 500 words (with up to four pages of supplemental examples and materials in support of the proposal); they should be double-spaced, and use a 12-point font. Proposals should be anonymous, and articulate the paper’s premise, its relation to existing music theoretic research, and provide some illustration of applications.
2) Send one (1) MS Word or .pdf format e-mail attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “SCSMT 2018 Proposal” in the subject heading. In this email, list the title of the paper, the author’s name (with rank and institutional affiliation if applicable), and the author’s address, telephone number, and e-mail address. Please also list any technical requirements for the presentation (stereo playback, piano, computer or overhead projector, etc.).
3) Additionally, attach one copy of an anonymous, 250-word or less abstract for publication in the meeting abstracts booklet.
4) Graduate students, please indicate the following in your email:
- I. Whether you wish to be considered for the SCSMT Student Paper Award. Candidates must submit a copy of the full paper to the program chair (email@example.com) by Friday, February 25th, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.
- II. Whether you wish to participate in the Graduate Student Workshop on film music led by Scott Murphy (University of Kansas).
1) No more than one proposal will be accepted for each individual.
2) Previously published papers or papers given at national conferences will not be considered.
SCSMT 2018 Program Committee: Jeffrey Yunek, Program Chair (Kennesaw State University), Courtenay Harter (Rhodes College), Clare Sher Ling Eng (Belmont University), and Robert Komaniecki (Indiana University).